Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Etymological Dictionary of Arabic Language: An ever suggested template (part 1)

Perhaps, it is for the first time that a real work about Arabic etymology is formally published. The history of development of this work, up to this point, is a long and I think an interesting story, which I plan to present it in another separate article. But because of the evident need for an etymological dictionary of Arabic language, I have presented a suggested one. This etymological dictionary has included "all" Arabic words, ignoring if it is an original Arabic word or not. So, all arabicized and foreign loan words, from the times of (documented) Arabic, to the contemporary age, including modern Arabic dialects, have been studied in this work. In this article I have presented 50 entries for example from the beginning of letter Alif.

3 comments:

  1. Wow you have a phenomenal blog here! I'm very curious about linguistics and especially etymology... would you mind sharing any resources that could lead me to begin this dive into arabic etymology of words?

    Much appreciated and all the best!
    keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for your kind comment.

    I have revised completely my work (the structure of my dictionary as whole)...

    Please don't hesitate to ask any questions about my work, and keep connecting with me through my e-mail address as follows:

    peyman_mikaili@yahoo.com

    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day to you,
    I was curious about the origin of the word "coffee". Could you tell me, whether it comes from a town-name e.g. in Ethiopia, and if so what does the root-word mean? Thank you!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete